This dish can be a secret weapon for all the mothers whose child just hate pumpkin,bottle guard,ridge guard.Well the original recipe of famous Mumbai pav bhaji has more flavors of potato,tomato and onion only,but I think we can have any vegetable substitution,it goes very well with this dish.
For The Chilli-garlic Paste
5 to 6 whole dry Kashmiri Red Chillies , Deseeded
8 to 10 cloves Garlic(Lehsun), roughly chopped
For the Bhaji
2 medium size Potatoes
1/2 cup Green/Yellow Capsicum
1/2 cup Carrots
1 cup Cauliflower
1/2 cup Peas
1/2 cup French Beans
1 cup Pumpkin
1/2 cup Bottle guard(optional)
1/2 cup Ridge guard(optional)
1 cup Tomatoes
1 cup Onions
2 tbsp Butter/Oil
1tbsp Cumin Seeds
2 tsp Chilli powder
1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
3 tbsp Pav bhaji Bhaji Masala
Salt to taste
1 cup finely chopped Onions
4 Lemon wedges
4 tsp Butter
For The Garnish
4 tbsp chopped Coriander (Dhania)
1. Rinse all the vegetables well.
2. For chilli garlic paste, soak the red chillies in enough warm water for at least an hour.
3. Peel potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, Bottle guard, ridge guard, onions.
4. Chop and pressure cook all the vegetables by adding (2 cups water+1 tbsp turmeric+1 tbsp salt) with 5-6 whistle, except tomatoes, onions and peas.
5. If you want you can pressure cook peas also with vegetables, but I like them to add from top ,to give a nice color to dish. While cooking peas add 1/2 tsp of sugar also to have their sweet taste intact and after cooking don't forget to rinse them in cold water to keep their bright green color.
6. Until vegetables cooking,drain the chillies which you have dipped in water, add the peeled garlic and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding little water. Keep aside.
7. Finely chop tomatoes and onions also.
8. In a pan, add butter/oil.
9. When the butter melts, add cumin seeds.
10. When they sizzle, add the chilli garlic paste & chopped onions.
11. Saute the onions till they become translucent or the raw aroma of the garlic paste disappears.
12. Add the tomatoes and fry them about 6 to 7 minutes on low flame till they become soft and mush,and start releasing the sides.
13. Now add the red chilly powder,and pav bhaji masala.
14. Combine the pressure cooked vegetables with the masala,add water and combine everything well. Season with salt.
15. With a potato masher, mash the veggies directly in the pan or you can mash them before adding to the masala also.
16. When all vegetables are properly dissolved ,then add cooked peas and let the bhaji simmer for 12 to 15 minutes on a low flame.
17. Check the consistency of bhaji it should neither very thick nor thin.
18. Check the taste. Add salt, pav bhaji masala, red chili powder or butter if required.
19. For garnishing add chopped coriander,few drops of lime juice and paneer cubes at the top.
20. While serving ,add butter if you are not fitness freak.
21. Serve with buttered pavs and chopped onions.
22. Your Pav Bhaji is ready.
1. Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
2. Heat a griddle, add 2 tsp of butter and slit open the pavs and place on it.
3. Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
Linking up the post here
Linking up the post here