I made this on the request of my brother in law. He and I both likes street food a lot. I had it first time when I was a kid and I still remember, the poor me related this with golgappas, wondering how to gulp this whole in one go as it was so big with full of so many things to my little mouth.
Before marriage I used to have all these chaat from outside, but cooking them in home is quiet fun and enjoying. I tried 2-3 times to have perfect crispy Kachori.
It's a combination of so many flavours sweet , spicy, crunchy, chewy, tangy which makes it unique food experience. Guests can have fun filling their own Kachories according to their taste palette.
It can be served as a snack or appetiser.
Ingredients to Knead the flour to make Kachori.
Semolina (Sooji) - 200 gms. (2 cup)
All purpose flour(Maida) - 2 table spoon.
Salt - 1/2 tea spoon.
Oil - to fry.
Ingredients for Stuffing the Raj Kachori
Potato - 2-3 (boiled & chopped)
Brown chickpeas (Kabuli channa)- 1/2 cup(overnight soaked & boiled)
Whole green moong - 1/2 cup (overnight soaked & boiled)
Small Papadi made of maida – 20 (optional)
Curd - 400 gms. (2 cup, whisked)
Cumin seeds - 2 tea spoon (roast and grind)
Black pepper - 1 tea spoon.
Red chilli powder - 1 tea spoon.
Chaat masala - As needed
Sweet chutney - 1/2 cup.
Green chutney - 1/2 cup.
Sev Bhujiya - 1/2 cup.
Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup (chopped)
Pomegranate - 1/2 cup (peeled)
Salt - As needed.
How To Prepare Raj Kachori
1. First of all we make dough to make Kachori and then fill it with all the ingredients mentioned.
2. In a mixing bowl, sieve semolina+ all purpose flour (apf)+salt+ one tsp oil.
3. Knead the tight dough by sprinkling water little by little. Cover the dough and let it set for minimum 1 hr so that it will be easy to roll.
4. After an hour punch the dough to make it smooth and divide into equal size balls.
5. Now put the oil in a pan to heat and make sure oil is hot enough before dropping the Kachori in a pan, otherwise the Kachori won't puff up.
6. Until oil heats up ,take a dough and roll into flat disc of 3 inches.
7. Put this kachori into the pan and fry it in the oil. Press the kachori slightly so it rises well. As soon as the kachori rises, lower down the flame to maximum low and cook both sides till it turns brown in colour. Take out the kachori on a plate and prepare more kachoris in the same manner.
8. Let the kachoris cool down and make all the ingredients ready to stuff the kachori.
9. At the time of serving , break the Kachori from the centre from the side which is thin, to put the ingredients into it.
10. Keep Kachori on a big plate and add chopped 5-6 pieces of potato,2 spoon chickpeas,1 spoon green moong,2-3 crushed pieces of papadi, roasted cumin seeds, black pepper, salt, chilli powder, sweet chutney, green chutney.
11. In a bowl whisk curd smoothly with little sugar(you can avoid sugar if u want it spicy)
12. Now top the Kachori with generous curd, sev bhujiya, pomegranate seeds, both chutneys again with a pinch of cumin seeds and finally garnish with coriander leaves. You can also sprinkle the chaat masala and red chilli powders as needed.
13. Put all these ingredients in the same given sequence only. Your Raj Kachori is ready.
You can substitute and reduce or increase the quantity of the ingredients while stuffing as per your taste.
If you do not have papadi, then you can use the kachoris which did not rise while frying. Break them into small pieces and put it inside the kachori.
The puri should be crisp for this and make sure you fry in low flame to make it crisp.
You can use ready made store bought sev and chutneys available in the stores for easy job or pre plan and make the before day and keep.
I am really glad that you dropped by my little space on the internet and also because I could meet you (well , virtually !) Welcome to Rocket Looks. I am Ritu Sharma(read with prefix Mrs) from Delhi but now shifted to Gurgaon. By profession I am Engineer. But I fancy calling myself a blogger, DIYer, traveler,cook and last but not least true lover of fashion & lifestyle.